“My biggest dilemma is I love being alone, but I hate being lonely.”
Everyone at some time or another feels lonely. A friend of mine once told me, “My biggest dilemma is I love being alone, but I hate being lonely.” Feeling isolated is a lot more common than most people think and it can be difficult to deal with. It doesn’t matter how many people may be around you. You can be in a totally crowded room and still feel lonely. But don’t worry, there are many things you can do to help cure your loneliness.
5 Top Ways to Stop From Feeling Lonely
1. Strike up a conversation. Step out of your comfort zone and make small talk with the person at the bus stop or at the gym. Text a friend that you haven’t talked to in awhile. Just these small interactions can help you feel less lonely.
2. Join a club or class. By surrounding yourself with others that have the same interests as you do is a great way to get to know like minded people.
3. Keep active. Join a gym and take a dance or workout class with others that enjoy doing the same thing. Go for a hike with a friend. By keeping active, you will also increase your “feel good hormones,” increasing your feeling of well being and happiness.
4. Plan activities with others. Stop turning down get togethers. Make it a point to plan at least one social activity a week with others. The more you do it, the easier it gets.
5. Hang out with your pet. Yes, non-human friends can help cure your loneliness too! Take your dog out for a walk to the dog park where you can run into other pet owners. Or go on a trail walk with them. Being with your pet can help decrease stress, depression, anxiety and help you feel less lonely.
While feeling lonely is something that is undesirable, it is important for everyone to make sure that they do take some “alone” time in their life. This is a perfect time to work on yourself. Take time to relax, read your favorite book, binge watch a Netflix series, reevaluate your life and make any changes you feel necessary to be a better person.