“Someone once said “you know you have a big heart when you feel bad for doing what is best for you”….and I felt that.”
No matter what people may tell you, looking out for yourself first is not selfish! When it comes to protecting yourself and stopping others from hurting you, it is not wrong or selfish to put yourself first. It is YOUR life and up to you to make choices that will make you happy. By practicing self-love you will find you are a much happier person and live a much more fulfilling life.
Steps to take to achieve self-love in your life:
- Say good-bye to toxic relationships. It is important to surround yourself with others that build you up. Surround yourself with people that have a more positive mindset and support you with your dreams and goals.
- Celebrate your accomplishments. Take time to appreciate what you have accomplished in your life, no matter how small it may be. Treat yourself to a nice meal or a day out shopping. You should be proud of what you have accomplished!
- Stay positive. And try to surround yourself with others that do the same. Life is too short to dwell on the negative and complain about any drama that may be going on. Focus on the good you have in your life.
- Take care of your basic needs. Make sure that you eat healthy, exercise daily, get enough sleep and have positive social relationships.
- Be yourself. Don’t be afraid to show who you really are. If you find that you cannot be your true self with someone, then maybe they are not someone that you should be surrounding yourself by. It is important to feel comfortable being your true self.
- Forgive yourself. You are only human and we ALL make mistakes. It’s okay, just make sure that you get back up and try again, learning from your past.
It’s not always easy to put yourself first, but many times you need to do this in order to make you a better self. Someone once said “you know you have a big heart when you feel bad for doing what is best for you”….and I felt that. It’s okay to say no to others if it means making sure you are tending to your own needs. In time, you will notice you feel less stressed, less depressed, less fear, more productive, happier and that people actually respect you more.